The search of the trademark is done online. Earlier there use to be official search now that search has been discontinued. The trademark search is performed online by logging into the Govt. operated website of www.ipinida.nic.in . The trademark search is done on the basis of word mark name or logo.The search from Delhi,Chennai,Mumbai,Kolkatta can be performed on this website. The search of logo can also be done there is specific coding called the Vienna code for each logo. The Trademark search is not a simple process it has to be done carefully. The phonetic search shall also be performed along with the word mark search as there are certain trademarks which are phonetically similar also. Search is trademark class specific. You have to choose the relevant trademark class for performing the desired search of logo or trademark. We have helped so many people from entire Northern Indian states of Punjab, Haryana ,Chandigarh and himachal in performing right trademark searches.There are certain tems associated with the search of the related trademarks for example abandoned, withdrawn or opposed they have to be carefully seen.
A trade mark (popularly known brand name laymans language is a visual symbol which may be a word signature, name, device, label, numerals or combination of colours used by one undertaking on goods or services or other articles of commerce to distinguish it from other similar goods or services originating from a different undertaking.
The legal requirements to register a trade mark under the Act are:
- The selected mark should be capable of being represented graphically (that is in the paper form). It should be capable of distinguishing the goods or services of one undertaking from those of others.
- It should be used or proposed to be used mark in relation to goods or services for the purpose of indicating or so as to indicate a connection in the course of trade between the goods or services and some person have the right to use the mark with or without identity of that person.
How to select a trade mark?
- If trademark is a word it should be easy to speak, spell and remember. The best trade marks are invented words or coined words.
- Please avoid selection of a geographical name. No one can have monopoly right on it.
- Avoid adopting laudatory word or words that describe the quality of goods (such as best, perfect, super etc) It is advisable to conduct a market survey to ascertain if same/similar mark is used in market.